Friday, July 13, 2012

You do...what?

It's really hard to explain camp to people who aren't "camp" people.  But essentially here's what I do in the summer:

I bring my family to Vermont where I can "work" with someone else's children.  My "work" this morning consisted of paddling about in a canoe, offering occasional advice to one or two kids who were trying to work out the details of a complicated stroke.  Is this work?  Then I went to the dining hall for lunch (which I did not have to cook or clean up!).  Last week I went canoe camping for nine days with a group of 14 year old boys...no computers, no bills, no stress.

This sounds completely crazy, but it's sort of something you have to experience.  Is it a bit cultish?  I suppose so...but what's most remarkable is that I'm surrounded by people I've known for as many as thirty years, all of whom love it here as much as I do.  It's a remarkable place.

2 comments:

  1. Ben: How 'bout some pictures? Love to see what it's like up there. Your day can't REALLY be as laid-back as you describe. Hi to Malcolm from Zach, who's missing him this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ben. It sounds nice. What does your family do while you go canoeing with the other kids?

    ReplyDelete